Monday, January 23, 2012

Pre-Eclampsia...You Made Me Toxic

Definition from, http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-information/faq#zero

What is preeclampsia?
Preeclampsia (pre-e-CLAMP-si-a) is a condition unique to human pregnancy. It is diagnosed by the elevation of the expectant mother’s blood pressure usually after the twentieth week of pregnancy combined with the appearance of excessive protein in her urine. Important symptoms that may suggest preeclampsia are headaches, abdominal pain, visual disturbances such as oversensitivity to light, blurred vision, seeing flashing spots or auras, shortness of breath or burning behind the sternum, nausea and vomiting, confusion or heightened state of anxiety. Preeclampsia and related hypertensive disorders of pregnancy impact 5-8% of all births in the United States.
Most women with preeclampsia will deliver a healthy baby and fully recover. However, some women will experience complications, several of which may be life-threatening to mother and/or baby. A woman’s condition can go from a mild form of preeclampsia to severe preeclampsia very quickly.
Preeclampsia and other hypertensive disorders of pregnancy can be devastating diseases, made worse by delays in diagnosis or management, seriously impacting or even killing both women and their babies before, during or after birth.

NOW....my story.

It was 20 years ago, this very month.  I started to not feel very well a few weeks before Christmas.  My blood pressure at my December appointment seemed fine, the doctor was one I rarely saw and seemed to be in hurry.  This was my first long term pregnancy, so I left the office and went on my way to prepare for a wonderful Christmas season. 

I was feeling tired and had a slight headache but nothing that really stopped me.  I had a taste of "dirt" in my mouth.  I know, that sounds really weird, that is what I tasted.  I wanted to get some shopping done, to finish the baby's room but I just couldn't seem to find the energy to do it.  This something out of ordinary for me.  I also, didn't really like being left alone. 

The first Thursday of January, I started to not feel well after I ate dinner.  My husband was at a business meeting and cell phones were not that all common.  He had one built into the car but not something everyone carried around.  I called my parents and by the time they arrived at my house, I was covered in hives and my heart was racing.  They took me to the emergency room.  My blood pressure was elevated.  They did a urine and I don't remember if there was protein at this point.  The ER doctors chalked up the visit to something I ate.  REALLY?  They assumed my blood pressure was a mere "panic attack".  OK, I'll go home, I had an appointment at the doctor on Monday. 

So, my appointment on Monday....my blood pressure was elevated.  My favorite doctor was the one that saw me this day.  He made me lay on my left side and would take it again in a few minutes.  I thought fine, I get to relax a few minutes.  He comes back in, takes it and it is down.  Thank goodness!  I thought, OK, all will be good.  The next words hit my like a shock...."you need to go home, you will be on "bed rest" the rest of this pregnancy".  WHAT!  I was only 26 weeks...are you kidding me!? 

I left, with those instructions and to come back in a week.  After a few days, I am getting antsy.  I call the office.  "Can I at least go out to lunch?"  NO!  Stay in bed on your left side. 

I go to my appointment on Monday, thankfully, my husband took me.  The doctor walks in, my second favorite.  He takes my blood pressure, checks my urine and says those dreadful words...."I am going to admit you into the hospital"....WAIT...what is happening here.  This is really serious....

My weeks in the hospital.  It became my new home.  It was days of day-time TV, ultrasounds (about 2 a week), using my Elizabeth Arden, Red Door Lotion (I had the best smelling room in the hospital)  because my skin was raw because of the hospital issue bedding and not being able to sleep because I could hear the screams of woman delivery babies through the duct work.  All I wanted was to go home and see my animals.  I think about it now...how different my feelings would be today.

Several weeks later, my doctors feel they cannot wait any longer.  I have an ultrasound and our son's kidney's are not functioning.  The time has come to deliver this baby.  No, it is too early...what is going on.  My mind is not clear. 

They hook me up to everything they have. They use every possible item they can, the nurses were even making jokes about it.   They break my water, give me Pitocin.  YUCK!  Give me Magnesium Sulfate...DOUBLE YUCK!  I have contractions right away...they are horrible.  The nurse is in my face the entire time.  Within a half hour of all this, I happen to glance at the blood pressure machine.  240/170, the nurse quickly turns it away and says she has to go make a phone call.  I think, oh, she has to tell her husband she will not home early tonight.  The next thing I know, my doctor is in my room, running around like the crazy little man he is....closing the blinds, making the room as dark as possible.  He gets my blood pressure down and heads back to office.  I labor all afternoon.  He finally comes back after office hours and our son is now in major stress.  The next few, hours are a bit of blur.  I remember passing out...darkness, voices, emergency C-section.  We need to save this mother and baby.  I see my body being rushed to the OR...I am floating above myself.  These drugs they gave me are awesome.  NO....those weren't drugs....I hear voices rushing around, I see bright lights.  I wake up a couple days later.  I have a baby boy, 3lbs. 7 oz. 

That baby boy will be 20 on February 10.  It is hard to believe, it feels like yesterday. 

 This picture was taken several days after delivery.  I remember, they would bring him to me for very short periods of time because I was not able to go down to NICU. 

It took me about 18 months to fully recover.  Thankfully, we tried as much as we could to prevent this from happening with subsequent pregnancies.  More on those to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment